Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Mega Man 10

I had my brother over tonight for a bit of an old school gaming session and we played some Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (specifically Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master). His patience for old games isn't what it use to be and he seemed out of practice while trying to memorize boss patterns. We talked about the Mega Man 9 effect which obvious lead to us taking turns dying in the game of the same name.

Isaac cheated and looked up the robot master weaknesses and I stayed true to figuring out yourself (I don't think I did that as a kid but whatever). Looking at the challenges just made me remember how little of the game I had actually completed after I bought it; another game on the 'to beat' list.

A little surfing on the net during Splash Woman's stage brought me to a youtube clip of a project by a certain MegaPhilX. There are a lot of tribute games out there and they usually aren't that good but the attention to detail and imagination in Phil's Mega Man 10 really caught my eye.

You can only watch videos of two of the levels/robot masters and look at pictures of the entire roster of bosses but what's there does look promising. I especially enjoy the video of RainbowMan's level with its clever use of refraction of light and surprisingly unique move set by the titular boss. It's easy to scoff at the idea of a robot master being as colourful as the rainbow but after seeing him in action, I was wanting to steal his powers.

No comments: